AECT Blog Track - Hanging Out My Shingle

Blog Trek: The Next Generation - Are you ready to take the plunge but you’re a bit uneasy about joining the revolution? This Blog Track panel will discuss our experiences as our small group of explorers took to the net in search of technological enlightenment and self-actualization. Join us as we share our experiences with you.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Keeping Up With The Technology

I like to think of myself as a relatively technically savy individual. There's a lot that I cant do, but I have a better than pedestrian knowledge about most things.

One of the save things about staying within one's institutional walls is that wha you have the ability to do in terms of your electronic shingle is limited by what the institution will support. If they won't do blogs or wikis with your personal space, than you don't have to worry about them.

But when you venture beyond your own institutional walls, then it becomes a different story. I have no idea if my domain provider allows me to create a blog or wiki - I'd prefer at this stage to use a blog system created by someone else so that I don't have to worry about maintaining it.

I mention these things because today my domain sent me this:

.Mobi Landrush Registration Opens Today!
Many premium names are still
available. Hurry up, reserve yours today.

Within the next three years 1.3 billion users will use their phones to access
the Internet. .MOBI will be the standard by which these people browse the web
from their mobile device.

It is the first top-level domain dedicated to delivering the Internet to
mobile devices and is designed to guide mobile users to made-for-mobile Internet
content and services that can be accessed with confidence.

What is landrush registration?

Landrush is a two-week period of time prior to General Registration in which
individuals or organizations may register .mobi domains at an earlier date (with
a slightly premium price).

Why register a .MOBI Domain?

  • Be accessible to your customers anywhere, anytime
  • Mobile devices outnumber personal computers by four to one
  • Register great names long snapped-up in other TLD extensions

Prebook your .MOBI Domain

Doteasy is now offering landrush and general registrations starting from
September 26, 2006.

.MOBI Registration - Registration Period - Price per year -
Requirements
Landrush (Sept 26 - October 10, 2006) - US$35/year - 2-Year
minimum
General (October 11, 2006 - Indefinitely) - US$12.50/year - 2-Year
minimum

Sign up now for .MOBI
domain today!

So now I sit here, before my morning cup of coffee or tea or anything to really wake me up, trying to figure out what .MOBI is and whether or no it is something that I need to know about. If I were still inside the protective walls of my institution I would have woken up the morning and remained ignorant to .MOBI's existance. But instead, I have to at least gain a pedestrian knowledge of what this thing is.

Tags: , , graduate student, graduate students, graduate school, higher education, education

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home